Saturday, November 14, 2009

Rebecca Talley Biography

Published Works: Grasshopper Pie and Heaven Scent.

Bio: I was born in Santa Barbara, California. My younger sister and I were raised in Santa Barbara by our maternal grandparents. I spent countless hours playing at the beach. I loved swimming in the ocean, collecting shells, and digging in the sand. One of my favorite memories is riding my pony along the shore with the surf spraying my feet. I still love the moist sea air.

While I was a teenager, I performed as a flamenco dancer in parades and on stage for the Old Spanish Days Fiesta celebration that occurs every August in Santa Barbara. I played basketball in high school and was named Most Inspirational Player.

After graduating from high school, I attended BYU. I had a hard time adjusting to the snow and cold winters, but I had the time of my life living in Deseret Towers, Centennial Apartments, and Riviera Apartments.

While attending BYU, I met my sweetheart, Del, who was born and raised in a rural area of Colorado. We were married in 1985, after my junior year at BYU. I graduated from BYU with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications.

Shortly after graduation, my first child, a son, was born while we lived in Utah. My daughter was born two years later.

We then moved to New Mexico for five years before moving out to rural Colorado. We've now been blessed with ten wildly creative children whose talents amaze me and bless my life.

Besides kids, we've also raised cows, horses, rabbits, goats, and sheep. We currently have a small herd of goats and a llama we named Tina (yes, my children have watched Napoleon Dynamite too many times!).

I love living in the country with my big family. I love watching my kids play together, have fun, and develop their talents. We have a performance in front of our fireplace almost every night where our kids sing, do cheers, or act out a play they've written. I love the peace and quiet (okay, maybe quiet isn't quite the word) of the country and having the opportunity to raise animals.

With all the activities, school events, and utter chaos that sometimes rains down upon us, I have to work hard to find time to write. But, I've discovered that because it's important to me, I've found ways to work it in. I've had stories published in the Friend, Story Friends, Our Little Friend, and Stories for Children. I am also the author of a children's picture book, Grasshopper Pie.

Website: http://www.rebeccatalley.com

No comments: